Sunday, September 19, 2010

So far, so good

"How's it going?" I've heard that a lot lately. "so far, so good" I say. And that's true. It's really going well. Considering all things, it's actually going very well. Are there some things that could be better? Sure. Are there some things that are not what I expected? Sure. Are there some things that are better than what I expected? Sure. Am I overwhelmed? Sure. Am I at peace? Sure. So far, so good : )

Adoption is such a crazy God thing that it often doesn't make any sense when I think of it from a worldly perspective. So, I constantly have to remind myself of the grand plan and I realize that we are doing very well. Birthing a almost 4 year is extremely difficult, yet she's doing great. Amazing me everyday. I am doing so well with her. All of that is wonderful. Izzy, however, is in total regression. I did expect some of that, but she's really struggling. No, it's not out of the ordinary, but it's hard to see her going through such a tough time. It breaks my heart. She's is usually such a strong independent little girl and she's won't even go to the potty by herself right now. Scared of everything. She's trying hard to pull it together. She even recognizes that she's struggling. She told me that she was sorry that she was having a hard time. Oh, that did me in. I'm trying to love on her plenty. We talk A LOT. Yesterday, she seemed to be doing better. I hope that's a sign of the direction we are going in with her.

Marianna has such an awesome spirit. She is such a beautiful child. The adjusting to her new home and family are going exceptionally well. She struggles more with physical stuff. She has pain in her knees and in her right hand a lot. During the day she'll start blowing on her hands and shaking them. She doesn't stop though. She just starts coloring holding her crayon or pencil with both arms. She just started feeling comfortable enough to start telling me that they hurt. She'll ask me to rub them for her. She has these horrible nose bleeds and is snoring like a grown man. We are seeing an ENT on Wednesday and we go to the Amputee Clinic at Children's Hospital on October 13th. It all just reminds me that what we've been called to will not be easy. Adopting orphans is not for the faint of heart. Parenting isn't for wimps either : ) Put it all together and well, let's just say we'll be on our knees a lot : ) I have lots of friends called to much more difficult things. They inspire me. I know we can handle this. The Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle. I trust that. But if I get caught up in the "stuff " of this world I could get really down about it all. So, I keep looking up and asking Him to help me. I'm focusing on the big picture and the big picture is that I have a Father in heaven that adores me. He gave His life for me. Surely I can give mine for Him. He's given me a husband that loves me and entrusted me with four amazing children and a wonderful family. His grace is abundant in our lives. So, all things considered.... so far, so good.

2 comments:

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

Love this post. I can SO relate! Our older daughter has been REALLY needy since we returned home. It is hard to see as a parent.

I just included the "adoption is not for the faint of heart" in a recent blog post. So very true.

We too are on our knees!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post mama! I will be praying for Izzy...Isaac did this when we came for from China with Cana. A few things have taken a long while to get back to 'normal' but he eventually was able to get past everything. Praise the Lord he is doing great with his new brother!!

And for sweet Marianna, I am praying, too. I can only imagine how your heart feels as you wonder what exactly is going on with her pain. Hugs and know I am praying!!