Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beginning to walk


Yes, my girl had her first fitting today. It fit beautifully. I really wasn't sure how she would react. She's been so excited about walking that I really didn't expect her to be afraid of her prosthetic, but she was at first.   I've tried to show her prosthetics on the Internet, but I knew she really didn't get it.  Today when she started crying it dawned on me that she was disappointed. I think she was expecting her prosthetic to be just like her other leg. It's hard to explain this to a three year old. It wasn't completely finished either. It didn't have the covering that looks more like a leg. It fit really well though. She eventually warmed up to it. She loved being able to stand. Izzy was encouraging her. It was very sweet. She liked being able to see Izzy eye to eye. I could tell that was a big deal to her. She smiled so big. She took a couple steps from me to Rob and it was really hard for her. She had no idea what to do with it.  It was just very foreign to her. She gets around so well without it. She really will have to learn to walk. I didn't think about it this way. I envisioned her putting the prosthetic on and taking off. That's her spirit. That's how she approaches most things. She just goes for it. This was scary though for her and I hadn't prepared for that.  When she got used to it a little she started asking me if we could paint the toenails. So sweet. And you can. How cool is that. You can paint it and take it off and paint them again just like your real toes. I started doing "this little piggy with her. She was loving it. She has 10 toes. She was very excited about that. We start physical therapy Monday. We're doing that inpatient at Children's Hospital so that she can have physical therapy twice a day.

So, check out my girlies first prosthetic leg.  Rob took some pictures with his phone, so sorry about the quality. Please keep us in your prayers. A week in the hospital. Ughhh!!! And pray that my sweet girl gets the hang of this pretty quickly : )












3 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO praying for everything to go well and your hospital stay to be positive!!!
blessings!

Anonymous said...

Many prayers for you and the family! Her spirit is amazing and it won't be long before we see her running the halls at church!!!

Unknown said...

Oh sweet baby girl!!! She'll be running before she knows it...praying!!