Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How are you guys doing? How’s Mari adjusting?

I’ve had a lot of emails lately asking me that. I know I’m a bad blogger lately. I’ve barely had time to throw pictures up much less to post anything. So I thought I’d better catch up before I get into trouble with my family and friends : )


We have been so busy lately. Not the bad busy though, really good busy. I’m spending some great time with my kiddos. Home schooling is one of the biggest blessings in my life. Pouring my heart into these girls is by far the most important thing I have ever done in my life. I regret that I didn’t get it when my older children were younger. When Rye was born I was in college and I rushed his childhood so much. I used to think “I can’t wait till he’s off the bottle” or “I can’t wait till he’s out of diapers”. What I would give to have that time back. Time really does give you perspective. So, I am soaking up every second with my girls. I know all too well now that in a blink of an eye they are grown. I guess I’m getting old because I’m way too sappy about my big kids lately. Rye spent the weekend with us this weekend and I could barely let him leave on Sunday. I have a better perspective on my time these days. Home schooling gives me their whole heart. I have all of them and it’s so precious to me. I do not take it lightly. I devote everyday to their education. It’s a full time, round the clock thing and I absolutely love it. I had no idea that I would feel this way. I’ve always had a career and put way too much into it. What a difference a few years make. I’m really grateful the Lord has allowed me to do this.

Mari slipped right in to our routine and is flourishing. She loves to learn. She, just like Izzy, is so smart. It’s so easy to teach them. They have such a teachable spirit. It’s just glorious.

They are getting along very well. They have their moments as any sisters would, but overall its way more than I could have expected. God’s grace once again is amazing.

She is walking very well. In fact, she’s running circles around me. You can’t keep her still : ) She loves it so much that sometimes I find her just walking around the house for no particular reason except that she can walk so she does. It’s a beautiful thing to see. She’s learned how to jump and climb with her prosthetic. Today, we start outpatient physical therapy. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly she meets her goals. There is nothing that she will not do. Nothing. Sometimes that’s a little scary…. for this Momma anyway.

Her behavior is settling down some. When she first came home she was pushing the boundaries quite a bit. Very typical in an adoption situation. She has come to respect our authority and pushes it less and less. There is this little defiant streak in her though. I have to correct her and then walk out the room to laugh because she’s very funny and has this way of doing something naughty and giving you this little grin that makes you want to scoop her up and give her a kiss, but you can’t. Mommy gets this much better than Daddy does : )

She is very affectionate. Much different than Izzy. Izzy has to really get to know you and trust you before she will hug on you. Mari, as soon as she knows that we love you, she’s in your lap making you her best friend. What a sweet kind personality. Gosh, how I love that girl. And she is so funny. She and Izzy have me in stitches most of the time. I just love their approach to life. Loving every minute of it.

Mari loves her new family. She still hasn’t met all of them. Yes, that is sad, but she doesn’t know that. She just knows that she has a family and she loves that. She tells the Lord that every morning when we pray. And every night too. She is a very appreciative little girl. She looks at her family as a gift.  The way we all should, but struggle to. She names all of the relatives that she knows. It's like she doesn't want to forget them. Sweet, sweet.

She has taught us so much in such a short time. We all have a better zest for life since Mari has graced our family.  It’s amazing to see the difference in Izzy since Mari’s been home. Izzy has struggled a lot these few months with the adjustment. More than Mari has. But lately she’s come into the great role of big sister that she takes on with gusto. Maybe too much gusto sometimes : ) She can be a bit overwhelming at times. She takes being a big sister seriously. Sometimes she’s jealous and it comes out sideways, but we are working through it.

Adoption is not easy and parenting is not for wimps : ) but The Lord is my portion, says my soul. Therefore I will hope in Him. Lamentations 3:24. Yes, I say this often. If I’ve learned anything this last year it’s that I can do nothing without Him. I AM nothing without Him. I surely cannot parent my children without Him. So, every day we pray together and we do the very best that we can. We are loving each other well. There are people in our family that still don’t get it and that’s ok. We are not here to please the world. The truth hurts sometimes and I’ve found out the hard way that sometimes people would rather hear the lie than the truth. We are living the truth out in our lives to the best of our ability. We are called to that. Adoption being part of that calling is not easy, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything of this world.

Our prayer is to grow closer to Jesus with every breath we take. Growing closer to Jesus calls for total obedience and sometimes getting way out of our comfort zone. Again, not easy, but what an adventure. I can already tell He’s up to something. He keeps us on our toes : ) One thing about saying “Yes” to the Lord, you can’t change your mind and say “No” once you’ve jumped. It will be interesting to see what the next year holds for our family.

We are so grateful for our newest addition. We are doing very well and I appreciate all of your emails and comments. Your prayers are felt. They really are. I pray you guys have a very blessed Christmas. May the Joy of the Lord be with you.

2 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

I SO wish we were neighbors so we could talk home school. I NEED someone to talk to about it. Kind of on my own here but enjoying every minute!!! Loved reading your post and so happy the girls are doing SO well!!!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Y'all are doing a fantastic job with these girls!!!