Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Rye




I don’t know when he grew up. It seems like yesterday he was just a little boy. Sometimes I just can’t believe he’s 20. That makes me old : ) A mom of a 20 year old. And a mom of a 4 and 5 year old. Whoa!!! If you would have told me a few years ago that on Rye’s 20th birthday he would be blowing his candles out with his two little sisters from China, I would’ve said “You are out of your mind!” Funny how plans change. Isn’t God’s plan always “blow your mind better” than anything we can ever imagine? It sure is.


I always get kind of sad around Rye’s birthday. I just always feel like I miss him. Even when he’s sitting right next to me. It’s kind of strange. This year I really tried to soak it all in. I know that he will be active duty soon and that more than likely we won’t be able to celebrate his birthday with him every year. That alone makes me sad. I looked at him last night and I just so easily remembered that little premature baby that I watched day in and day out in Neonatal Intensive Care. How could that little baby be this 6’1’’ grown man? Time goes by way too fast. I know I say that a lot : ) It’s true though.

I had to laugh though because just as easily as I remembered that little baby I remembered that teenager that drove me crazy. I really thought he'd been taken over by aliens. Really !
I remembered all the many, many, many parent – teacher conferences that I sat in and wept. Oh, goodness. That boy made me so tired. He really did. His teachers would hug me. They loved Ryan so much. He was a sweet child, but they had their work cut out with him. Then I remembered that sweet day in October when He came to know Jesus and I knew without a doubt that we would spend eternity together. What a sweet memory. The roller coaster ride of parenting. Wow. Dr. Dobson says it best “ Parenting isn’t for wimps”. So true.

I have learned so much from parenting him. He’s taught me to be a better mom for Izzy and Mari. Yes, Rye you were my guinea pig. Sorry. But you guys don’t come with a manual : ) It has been the most challenging thing I have ever done, but without a doubt it has and will always be a privilege to be your mom.

Happy Birthday Rye. You will always be my little boy.

No comments: