Monday, May 20, 2013

School's Out For Summer



I can actually hear Alice Cooper screaming in my head....Ah ! I never thought I'd be happy about that, but I am : )

This year was not the easiest and I'm guessing it won't be the hardest considering I taught 1st and 2nd grade. Things are bound to get harder.  I guess what made it tough was new child, moving, new job, new life....etc!  Adding Josiah to the mix was interesting, but by the end we finally got in to a groove. Yes, it took all school year to get there!

For Izzy..multiplication was not fun, nor was spelling : ( but she rocked everything else. She just blows my mind some days. She's reading like crazy and a huge unsuspected blessing this year: Creative Writing. Wow! Let's just say she might be doing more than just illustrating books one day.

For Mari...it was all fun to her. She just loves school. Nothing really bums her out...yet!  One major accomplishment...cursive handwriting. For a girl with half of a hand she writes better than most kiddos her age. It was a goal from the beginning. She didn't say it to me ever, but I knew she was going to conquer that this year and she did. AMAZING that girl. And also reading like crazy right along with Izzy.

I couldn't be prouder of these girls. So blessed to be their Momma and their teacher.

We are starting our summer reading program called "Girls Who Rocked the World"

It all started with this book...

 
 
and I decided there are so many amazing women that made such a significant difference in this world that I had better start telling my girls about these ladies now....it might take a few summers : )
 
So we are beginning this week with some juvenile fiction just to get our feet wet:
 
Katie Woo
Fancy Nancy
Cora Cooks
Grace for President
 
Then we are going to alternate between real life amazing women like:
 
Clara Barton
Corrie ten Boom
Helen Keller
Mother Teresa
 
I'm so excited to do this with them. They are at such a great age to really embrace it.
 
Izzy has flip flops that say "Girls Rule" and it always makes me smile when I see them.  Not because I think girls rule anything, but because she was born of a country that is so contrary to that thought and her reality is that she is an incredible little girl that feels pretty special to be a girl....and that I absolutely love!
 
So here's to a summer of amazing ladies! Both fiction and non fiction.
 
 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like such fun for the summer! Love seeing the girls grow up and pictures of your cute little man!