Tuesday, September 4, 2012

We made it : )

Well, we made it to Charleston....barely, but we made it. Hurricane Isaac changed all of our plans and we left early.  I was not ready to leave on Monday. I was ready to leave on Thursday. So, we left in a bit of a hurry...forgot a bunch of things. The truck didn't fit everything so Rob has to go back this week for the rest of our things. The storm had me completely rattled. I hated leaving my family behind in the midst of all of that. It's been a really difficult time for many of them, please keep them in your prayers. The journey here was the longest road trip of my life with three kiddos and three cats in a minivan. Rob was driving the truck which would only go 35 mph up hill and there are many hilly roads between LA and SC. So the 12 hour trek took more like 17 hours : ( 

We had many crazy mishaps....poor navigation (GPS on crack), Josiah had an abnormal amount of mega poopie blow out diapers one of which caused me to give him a bath in a Racetrack bathroom (not pretty at all - included a booty hand dryer situation) God help me..., Mari got carsick. I had one cat poop in their kennel, one cat peed in their kennel and the other cat threw up in their kennel. I know...TMI, right? It was a good thing I had a baseball cap on because I'm quite sure my hair would have been in a thousand different directions.  By the time we got to Charleston my van looked like we had lived in it for a month and it smelled even worse.

But since then it's all been A LOT better. Kids are settling in...we've even enjoyed the beach a couple of times already. The house is great. The neighborhood is wonderful. I LOVE it here. It would be absolutely perfect if it had our family...that's all that I'm missing.  We had some Facetime with them yesterday and it was good for my kiddos. Change is not easy for them...not one bit. So I worked really hard to get the girls room done first. They love it and are feeling more at home here. We hope to get back to home school this week. They do much better when life is consistent so the sooner we get back to normal the better.  Josiah is still recovering from his "procedure". Good grief this is a long process. He is doing really well though. I'm truly impressed at how he's handled all of this. He's not sleeping too good so that's been hard. It's a lot of change in such a short time. He's only been home 4 months and he's had surgery and moved already.That's a lot of change in a little guys life..poor thing. So, I'm scooping him up every night around midnight when he wakes screaming and putting him in our bed. He's cries for at least an hour then settles back done and goes to sleep. His sleep is fitful though. He could use a good nights sleep. I could use a good nights sleep!

Thanks so much for all of your prayers....keep praying for our transition. We've been embraced by so many wonderful people from Seacoast. So many families that have a heart for the orphan. It makes me want to burst I'm so excited. God is doing some wonderful things here. There's a big adoption community (lots of kiddos from China...Yay!) here.  Such a great thing for our family. God is so good. 

Much love to you guys....from South Carolina : )



"Daddy drive Big truck" ...that's what Josiah said every time Rob passed us....


 
they were such troopers...this was no easy trip and they handled it in stride..even carsick : (
 



 
what a welcomed sight...the last box : )
 
 

 
Josiah...exhausted from all the unloading he did...right!
 
 


 
Our first breakfast in our new home...yep...we ate on the floor because our table was still in the truck.
 
 
 
This little beauty greeted us at the front door that next morning...."Welcome"
 
 


4 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO thankful you made it and sorry for all the troubles!!! Can't wait to hear more about your new place and how things are going!!! We know a family there that knows your church! Says it is very adoption minded! That is fabulous!!! Please know we are praying for you all!!!
XOXO

Unknown said...

Welcome to Charleston, Seacoast and the growing Journey Together adoption community! We're thrilled to have you here and can't wait to meet you! I'm an eagerly expectant adoptive grandma eager to welcome our newest grand-daughter to the Carpenter family!
Blessings, Sharon Miner (Jessica's mom)

Keisha said...

Thankful you made it to SC ok! Hope you're making new friends and settling in.

Joe said...

Thanks, great blog